Becoming aware of the causes of acidity and taking simple preventive steps can help us overcome the condition through natural means.
What causes acidity?
1. When you eat an oil-rich meal late at night, it leads to severe acidity and gas in the morning. So, clearly avoid foods that are rich in fats like gravy. These are difficult to digest.
2. Skipping breakfast is a common cause for acidity. In case you rush out in the morning without having breakfast, it can
result in acid build-up in the second half of the day.
3. Having several cups of strong tea or coffee in the morning,
especially on an empty stomach, can have adverse effects such as acidity, gas and weight gain (particularly if the tea or coffee is not sugar-free).
4. When you feel rushed for time, your breathing becomes shallower and the stomach muscles get constricted. The emotion is also accompanied by the building up of pressure in the pit of the stomach. The outcome: acidity and gas build-up.
5. When we eat incompatible food combinations, the food ferments in the stomach and the undigested food particles can lead to acidity and gas.
6. Don’t be a lazybones. Being very sedentary can lead to excessive burping and acidity.
The battle against gas
Acidity and gas can manifest themselves as acute pain in the middle of the chest. Acidity also leads to burping and acid reflux in the oesophagus. These problems are caused mostly by irregular food timings and regular intake of tea and coffee on an empty stomach. Here’s a step-by-step strategy against gas:
1. Kick out heavy dals such as rajma, chana and deep-fried foods from your dinner plate.
2. Drink a glass of lukewarm water after you wake up.
3. Take two tablespoons of aloe vera juice on an empty stomach.
4. Instead of skipping breakfast, have a light breakfast that includes sprouts, egg whites or steamed idlis.
5. Avoid milk in case you are lactose-intolerant.
6. Eat a banana if you feel like acidity is building up in your stomach.
7. To prevent gas build-up, have a combination of ginger and salt (keep a bottle of lavanbhaskar churan handy) and follow it up with some lukewarm water.
8. Avoid dairy products in the morning (especially tea with milk).
9. Natural herbs that control gas include hing, ajwain and salt. These can be taken in very small quantities like a natural medicine with lukewarm water.
From HT Brunch, February 3
Follow us on twitter.com/HTBrunch
Connect with us on facebook.com/hindustantimesbrunch