No Bodyguard 2, says Salman Khan
Rachana Dubey, Hindustan Times
Mumbai, February 05, 2012
First Published: 14:49 IST(5/2/2012)
Last Updated: 19:49 IST(5/2/2012)
Actor Salman Khan admits that the sequel to last year’s biggest commercial success, Bodyguard, has been shelved.
“There was no story to take forward. It all ended beautifully. It’s true that we had contemplated a sequel, but Baby (younger sister Alvira) and Atul (Atul Agnihotri) agreed
with me that there was no point. So, we’ve now decided to make another film together, but the work hasn’t started on it yet.”
In Cuba at the moment, the actor, who co-anchored Bigg Boss 5 with Sanjay Dutt, is flying to the USA for a thorough health check-up to examine the size of the aneurysm in his head, which results from the abnormal swelling of an artery due to weak walls of the blood vessel.
Salman, who has completed more than 70 per cent of director Kabir Khan’s Ek Tha Tiger with Katrina Kaif, says, “The visit has been due for a while. The doctors have successfully treated the trigeminal neuralgia that I was suffering from. But I still don’t know how big the aneurysm is. I just pray it has reduced in size, because if it has increased, I will be in deep trouble. And that will put a lot of people in trouble too. A lot is at stake.”
Once he returns from his hospital visit in March, the actor will start step back into the shoes of supercop Chulbul Pandey for the sequel to the 2010-hit Dabangg, produced by elder brother Arbaaz Khan. Salman was also working on younger brother Sohail Khan’s Sher Khan, which was reported to be shot in 3D. But he reveals that the film requires 24 months more of pre-production work. “We can’t start it immediately, though I know the project is superb. So, Sohail is taking his time to complete the pre-production work on Sher Khan. And once that’s done, we’ll start, even if it’s after three years from now,” the actor reveals, adding, “He’s started work on a comedy that I’ll work with him for. We’ll announce it once the details are ready.”
‘Chulbul becomes even more corrupt’
Arbaaz Khan, who will also direct the Dabangg sequel, has been working hard to put the cast, crew and script together. Apart from the new villain, to be played by Singham (2011) baddie Prakash Raj, Salman insists everyone else from the previous movie will make a comeback in part two. “The film can’t be complete without Prajapati Pandey (Vinod Khanna), Makhi (Arbaaz), his wife (Mahi Gill) and of course, Rajjo. The story will shift base to Mumbai, where Chulbul will become even more corrupt than he was when he was posted in Lalganj,” he says. “His crooked activities will land him in trouble, and then you’ll see what the villain does.”
Ask who has been cast to play Chulbul junior in the coveted sequel that releases on Christmas day this year, and the 46-year-old says, “I can just tell you that there will be a lovely romance between Rajjo and Chulbul, the kind we see between our parents who’ve had an arranged marriage. As for the child, whether we have a junior Chulbul or a choti Rajjo is something I’ll leave for the audience to discover. If I reveal everything now, there’s nothing left for you to watch on Christmas when the film opens.”