Legendary Shamshad Begum's Kabhi aar kabhi paar and Leke pehla pehla pyaar still spread the same magic that the songs used to when she sang them more than five decades ago.
A singer with many hits, Shamshad Begum bid adieu to the world Tuesday, but her songs will keep her alive in the hearts of music lovers. She was 94.
One of the first female playback singers of the Hindi film industry, the Padma Bhushan awardee was known for clarity in her voice.
True to the lyrics of her song Teri mehfil mein kismat aazma kar hum bhi dekhenge, she tried her luck in filmdom and reached the dizzy heights of stardom.
In her long career, she crooned 200 songs for over 100 movies like Gunahon Ka Raaste, Heer Ranjha, Kismat, Lootera, Chote Nawab, Musafir ,Daku Mangal Singh, Chaudhvin Ka Chand and Jaali Note and charmed her fans for more than five decades.
Although the details of her last song are not clear, many believe that post-1975 Punjabi film Main Papi Tum Bakhshanhaar, she quit filmdom.
Here is a list of her popular songs:
- Kabhi aar kabhi paar: Aar Paar
- Leke pehla pehla pyaar: CID
- Kahin pe nigahen kahin pe nishana: CID
- Teri mehfil mein kismat aazma kar: Mughle-E-Azam
- Mere piya gaye rangoon: Patanga
- Saiyan dil mein aana re : Bahar
- O gaadi waale: Mother India
- Pi ke ghar aaj pyari dulhaniya chali: Mother India
- Chali pee ke nagar: Mirza Ghalib
- Kabhi aar kabhi paar: Aar-Par
- Matwali ankhonwaley : Chote Nawab
- Dil tera ho rahega: Chote Nawab
- Reshmi salwar kurta jaali ka: Naya Daur
- Naina bhar aye neer: Humayun
- Nazar phero na humse: Deedar
- Kajra mohabbatwala: Kismat
- Chod babul ka ghar: Babul
- Chali chali kaisi yeh hawa yeh: Bluffmaster
- Meri neendon main tum: Naya Andaz.