From international runways to your very own boy-next-door, sprouting a beard seems to be the hottest fashion trend this season. Be it the erudite looking, trimmed one like the ancient Greeks or a casual, unkempt beard like the 1950s ‘Beats’; the full beard fashion is here to stay, much to the
Gangsta look: Akshay Kumar matches his shades with his beard.
delight of the nation’s barbers. Designer Nikhil Thampi seemed elated with the revival of the cave-man look when we spoke to him a while back.
He says, “It’s high time men went back to being men. The groomed look is passé.” After years in the style wilderness, the sort of bushy beard that takes weeks rather than days to grow —from the plain old full beard to mutton chops or a chin curtain— has finally displaced designer stubble and other barely-there styles of recent years.
The recently held fashion weeks in the city also showcased many male models sporting different variations of beards—from a 5’o clock shadow to goatees and well trimmed, smart beards. Even on the international runways, couturiers such as Belgian fashion house Maison Martin Margiela’s featured a succession of bearded models.
“Most of my friends have started sporting beards. I think it is a nice trend because I don’t have to shave regularly,” says Depander Singh, 19, a college student. Adding that he trims it regularly, to prevent looking like Santa Claus. There are many upsides to having facial hair such as covering up scars and acne, or distracting attention from baldness or an odd-shaped face and apparently, also grabbing female attention. “There’s something virile and manly about a man with a good beard,” says 24-year-old Akanksha Bhanot, an architect in the city. So, step up your mane game!
Groom your maning glory
* Use a hot towel to open the pores before you sculpt your beard. You can also use a cold towel — or a cold rinse — to close your pores after the shaping. This trick keeps in-grown hair, redness, and nicks in check.
* A beard is hair. You either remove it or you take care of it. If you have a full, bushy beard, you must shampoo it too to keep it squeaky clean. Depending on the size of the beard, use 2-3 dollops of shampoo on your palm, rub it into your palms before slowly massaging the shampoo into your beard. Work the shampoo deep into the beard and then rinse
* If a scruffy beard is not up your ante, invest in a gentle hair conditioner and use it on your beard to soften the hair.
* You can also invest in a beard mousse or gel to style your facial hair on a bad beard day! Smoothen and apply the mousse evenly on the beard. Now, pat down the flyaway strands and curl up your moustache to get the perfect handlebar moustache.
* If a bushy mane is not your cup of tea, just create a fade. Use the shortest clipper setting on the bottom quarter inch of your beard; go a bit longer every quarter inch up your neck. Adjust the blade settings to blend any lines.