Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,24 Apr 2014

Cut, or no Girl With Dragon Tattoo

Priyanka Jain, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, February 01, 2012
First Published: 12:19 IST(1/2/2012) | Last Updated: 16:15 IST(1/2/2012)

The fate of the release of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in India now depends on whether David Fincher’s willing to toe the censors’ line. According to Censor Board of Film Certification (CFBC) official JP Singh, producers Sony Pictures have not revealed their course of action to the board yet.

He says, “We have not received any communication from the banner.” The board had seen the film one month ago, and asked for certain changes, which Fincher refused to comply with.

Singh adds, “As per our guidelines, frontal nudity, bare bottom and bare breast scenes are not allowed. We had asked them to blur those scenes.”

Pointing out that there is hope for the film’s release if the director relents, Singh says, “If they submit the film with blurred scenes, then they can get approval to release it within 24 hours. They can also appeal against the cuts. If they appeal and the film’s release date is close, then within a week or ten days, a decision can be given.

 Just last year, we suggested cuts to a film called A Good Old Fashioned Orgy. They appealed against it, and the higher committee (within the Censor Board) considered their objection. They were granted release with fewer cuts, after the director-producer justified the need for those scenes.”

Kercy Daruwala, MD, Sony Pictures says, “We are trying to convince our head office to get through these cuts. But we are (the India office) not in a position to comment. Right now, there is a ‘no-release’ plan.”

However a source from the studio informs, “The banner is considering both options — appealing to the revising committee and accepting the cuts. They’ve discussed this with the head office and the the director. The final decision will be taken in a week.”

Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved