Man of Steel released by Warner Bros. Pictures opened to an estimated 125.1 million dollars this past weekend.
According to studio estimates, the film earned 113 million dollars in its opening weekend at the box office, while leaping over the expectations, Fox News reported.
The retelling of Superman's back-story earned an additional 12 million dollars from Thursday screenings, bringing its domestic total to 125 million dollars.
The American superhero film directed by Zack Snyder, which stars Henry Cavill as Superman and Amy Adams as Lois Lane, has also beaten the record for biggest opening in June held by the Disney-Pixar film Toy Story 3, which banked 110 million dollars when it opened in 2010.
The top box office earners this weekend are:
1. Man of Steel - 113 million dollars
2. This Is the End - 20.5 million dollars
3. Now You See Me- 10.3 million dollars
4. Fast and Furious 6 - 9.4 million dollars
5. The Purge - 8.2 million dollars
6. The Internship - 7 million dollars
7. Epic- 6 million dollars
8. Star Trek: Into Darkness- 5.6 million dollars
9. After Earth - 3.7 million dollars
10. Iron Man 3- 2.9 million dollars