1. Do your homework well: When shopping at duty free, it’s good to know how much an item costs in normal retail stores as compared to your destination airport, in order to know how much you will save.
2. Save the dollars: In duty free shops at the airport, focus on purchasing exclusive items that are not available easily otherwise. Look for big-ticket items such as high-end liquor and larger packaging.
3. Study import/custom rules: Since most countries have different import rules and customs restrictions, keep yourselves updated on the same, if you don’t want your purchase to be confiscated at the destination airport.
4. Keep time aside: The retail space at the airport has a lot to offer, in terms of variety and bargains. So, keep 45 to 50 minutes for shopping.
5. Check it: Double check on whatever you have purchased and paid for. This is important because there is no exchange policy of goods at the duty free shops of most international airports.
(HTC with inputs from Delhi Duty Free, T3, Indira Gandhi International Airport)