Adele's 21 beats Michael Jackson's Thriller
London, May 04, 2012
First Published: 15:50 IST(4/5/2012)
Last Updated: 18:32 IST(4/5/2012)
Adele’s superhit 21 has become the fifth biggest-selling album of all time in the UK by outselling Michael Jackson’s Thriller.
Adele, who won six awards, performs at the 54th Grammy's in Los Angeles
Sales figures from the Official Charts Company reveal that the 23-year-old’s second album has sold 4,274,300 copies.
The album has already sold 500 more
than the landmark Michael Jackson album and is still selling an average of 20,000 copies a week.
“To add to her many landmark records, Adele’s achievement in overtaking Thriller in the all-time sales list is truly remarkable,” the Sky News quoted Official Charts Company’s managing director Martin Talbot as saying.
“Thriller has long been recognised as one of the most iconic albums of all time - there is now no doubt that 21 can be spoken of in the same breath,” Talbot said.
The Rolling In The Deep singer’s album has spent 23 weeks at number one since its release and has outsold hit albums including Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side Of The Moon and Dire Straits’ Brothers In Arms.
The singer also picked up six Grammy Awards and two Brit Awards this year.
Adele during a performance at the Grammys.
The UK’s Top 10 biggest selling albums of all-time are:
1. Queen, Greatest Hits (1981)
2. The Beatles, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
3. ABBA, Gold - Greatest Hits (1992)
4. Oasis, What's the Story Morning Glory (1995)
5. Adele, 21 (2011)
6. Michael Jackson, Thriller (1982)
7. Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms (1985)
8. Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
9. Michael Jackson, Bad (1987)
10. Queen, Greatest Hits II (1991)