23-year-old braveheart succumbs to injuries after brutal gangrape, leaves the country numb with grief and anger Saturday morning, the 23-year-old girl who was brutally gang-raped by six men in a Delhi bus on December 16, breathed her last at Singapore’s Mount Elizabeth Hospital.
The news was met with collective grief and outrage from across the country. The film industry, too, expressed utter sadness and outrage which was evident in their tweets. The fraternity also planned a silent march to pay a tribute to the girl, in Mumbai, on Saturday evening. “Citizens of Mumbai including theatre, film personalities lead silent march at 5.30 pm today from Juhu Beach gandhi statue 2 Kaifi Azmi Park,” tweeted actor Shabana Azmi.
Bollywood’s top filmmakers called the rape victim’s death a moment of shame. “RIP to a brave girl who fought in a weak and paralysed country (sic) #shameonallofus!,” tweeted filmmaker Karan Johar. “Her greatest betrayal is that we will forget. Political systems greatest hope is we will forget. Our only redemption is if we do not forget,” wrote filmmaker Shekhar Kapur.
The industry says that the medical student’s death should not go in vain.
“She’s gone. RIP. Don’t let her struggle be in vain. If the protests turn violent, all the momentum/credibility built up so far will be lost. She fought till her last breath. We must stay strong and peaceful in an effort to take her battle to its conclusion. STRONG RAPE LAWS, NOW! ,” wrote music composer Vishal Dadlani. “Please don’t let her tragic death be in vain... This has been our country’s most shameful moment. I hope we can atone for what has been done,” wrote actor Sonam Kapoor. Bollywood also expressed anger towards the government in the wake of the incident. “Numb.
All political parties unwilling to take action against their own members who have insulted and degraded women with sexist comments. Question is if they can’t keep their house clean, how can we expect them to clean society? RT my suggestion: have a ‘no confidence in any candidate’ box on a voting form. If that gets most x’s, all candidates should be replaced,” suggested filmmaker Farhan Akhtar.
Bollywood is angry
Celebrities react on gangrape victim’s demise
No new year party, say Delhiites
Saddened by the death of the gangrape victim, many of the Capital’s youngsters have decided not to party this New Year’s Eve. “With so much of grief, who’s in the mood to party? RIP India’s Fighter. It’s doomsday for our nation. We will fight with the so called safeguards of our so called democracy till we get justice,” says Jigyasa Uniyal, 25. “I am ashamed to call myself an Indian and sadly my group of friends is in no mood to party this New Year’s Eve,” says Richa Sachdeva, 28.
City restaurants, too, have decided to tone down the celebration. “We have cancelled our live instrumental evening that we planned for the New Year’s Eve and are only serving ala carte. This incident is a shame. The entire city is mourning, and we are part of it,” says Chanpreet Sahni, co-owner of Asia Kitchen.