Bollywood supports Shah Rukh Khan
Navdeep Kaur Marwah , Hindustan Times
New Delhi, May 17, 2012
First Published: 16:41 IST(17/5/2012)
Last Updated: 01:04 IST(18/5/2012)
He was dead drunk, used filthy language, and manhandled the security guards, and even a senior police officer. These are the allegations made on Thursday by Mumbai Cricket Association treasurer Ravi Savant against actor Shah Rukh Khan, 46, owner of IPL team Kolkata Knight Riders. Shah Rukh’s friends
in the film industry, however, have decided to rally behind him for the moment.
Bollywood actor and IPL franchise Kolkata Knight Riders co-owner Shah Rukh Khan brushes aside a security guard blowing a whistle to direct children accompanying him off the playing field at The Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. AFP PHOTO/Indranil MUKHERJEE
The MCA called for a lifetime ban on the actor’s entry in Mumbai’s Wankhede stadium after he had an altercation with the security and the MCA officials after the Wednesday night match between KKR and Mumbai Indians. “Khan abused the MCA security personnel and officials, including our president Vilasrao Deshmukh. SRK was dead drunk, our security tried to stop him but he pushed him and abused in such filthy language that I cannot repeat ... he abused MCA, BCCI, used the ‘F’ word. We’ve decided to ban him from entering the stadium for life,” said Savant.
Shah Rukh was unavailable to media till the time of going to press but voices of support from the industry had started to come in. “A man who is so highly involved in Indian sports, who acted in Chak De India, inspiring Indian hockey, should not be made a scapegoat. I think things can be sorted out with dialogue,” says filmmaker Anees Bazmee. Filmmaker Pritish Nandy says, “One wrong cannot be corrected with another wrong.”
Former cricketer Kirti Azad, says, “I don’t believe Shah Rukh would do something like this. But if he did, my head hangs in shame.” Filmmaker Kabir Sadanand, who is actively involved with KKR management, said, “I have been at games when Mr Khan has been there to support his team but have never seen him inebriated during a game. It’s unimaginable to think he would come to a ground under the influence of alcohol.”
The incident occurred after a group of around 25 kids that included Shah Rukh’s 11-year-old daughter, Suhana, started playing on the stadium ground. When the security stopped them, SRK, who had come to pick up his daughter, allegedly abused and pushed the guards. Sources from the KKR team defend Shah Rukh and say he lost his temper when his daughter complained that the guard pushed a friend of hers.
Vilasrao Deshmukh, president, MCA meanwhile said, “The decision on the ban will be taken in the MCA meeting.”
1. Shah Rukh Khan “banned” well he can afford his own stadium @SakeenaJaySean1D
2. Apparently Shah Rukh Khan didn’t say MC BC to the Wankhede security staff.. HE was just saying MCA BCCI @shadymumbai
3. Is Shah Rukh Khan making a new version of Devdas? That would explainit. @ShivAroor
4. SRK is showing hs true colours!Its nt like he hs changed now, he was the same before but inside a mask which is coming out now...@manisha_0410
5. Reel don wants to become real don @rahulrahul14
6. SRK says he goes to USA whenever he feels arrogant. Time to book a ticket.@fakingnews....again
7. Shah Rukh got into a brawl with actor Salman Khan at actor Katrina Kaif’s birthday party in July 2008
8. During IPL season one in 2008, Shah Rukh was reportedly barred from entering KKR’s dressing room by the International Cricket Council’s Anti-Corruption Unit
9. In February 2012, filmmaker Shirish Kunder alleged that SRK had manhandled him at a party hosted by actor Sanjay Dutt (left)
10. A local court in Jaipur summoned Shah Rukh Khan last month after taking cognisance of a complaint against him for smoking at SMS Stadium during an IPL match.
More pics online
See more photos of the action at Wankhede Stadium on facebook.com/htcity