Elizabeth Taylor surpassed Michael Jackson as the highest-earning dead celebrity in the past year, with her estate pulling in 210 million dollars, much of it from the auction of her jewels, costumes and artwork, Forbes said on Wednesday.
Jackson, who died in 2009, dropped into second place with earnings of 145 million, followed by Elvis Presley with 55 million dollars.
Elizabeth’s most expensive item to go under the hammer was an 1889 Van Gogh painting which sold for 16 million dollars, while her perfume, White Diamonds, made around 75 million dollars in 2011.
According to the publication, Elizabeth’s estate also made money from property sales and from her films as after starring in 1963 drama ‘Cleopatra’, the actress - who died in March 2011 aged 79 - negotiated a 10 per cent ownership stake in each of her movies.
Full list of Forbes magazine’s Top-Earning Dead Celebrities:
1. Dame Elizabeth Taylor (210 million dollars)
2. Michael Jackson (140 million dollars)
3. Elvis Presley (55 million dollars)
4. Charles Schulz (37 million dollars)
5. Bob Marley (17 million dollars)
6. John Lennon (12 million dollars)
7. Marilyn Monroe (10 million dollars)
7. Albert Einstein (10 million dollars)
9. Dr. Seuss (9 million dollars)
10. Steve McQueen (8 million dollars)
10. Bettie Page (8 million dollars)
12. Richard Rogers (6 million dollars)
13. George Harrison (5.5 million dollars)