Anusha, a Class 1 student at a government school near Bangalore fell into a huge vessel of boiling sambar on Tuesday when she was waiting for a helping during the mid-day meal served at school. She suffered severe burn injuries and died on Wednesday.
Dr KT Ramesh, of the plastic surgery department and in charge of the burns ward, Victoria Hospital, where the girl died, said: “Anusha was brought to the hospital by her teachers at around 4.30 pm on Tuesday. She had sustained 99% burns all over her body.”
Anusha was a student of class 1 at a government school near Gowribidanuru, 60 km from Bangalore.
She was waiting in queue for lunch with several other students.
There was some shoving and jostling and the next thing everyone knew was that Anusha had fallen into the vessel.
According to the students, there were neither any teachers nor any mid-day meal staff present. They arrived after the students alerted them. Anusha was pulled out and rushed to the hospital.
The girl’s parents, who are daily wage labourers, have blamed the school teachers for their negligence. One of the teachers, however, said, “All the children were fighting to get to the food first. The cook was inside the kitchen and the sambar vessel was left uncovered. The teachers were very much present. but in the pushing and shoving Anusha fell into pot. It was unfortunate.”
The police have registered a case of negligence against the teachers and the head master of the school K Krishnappa was suspended by the primary education department on Tuesday itself.