Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,17 Apr 2014

Blind Pak cricketer mistakes phenyl for water, out of danger

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Bangalore, December 08, 2012
First Published: 13:20 IST(8/12/2012) | Last Updated: 00:40 IST(9/12/2012)

A visually impaired Pakistani cricket player landed in the hospital on Saturday after he accidentally drank diluted phenyl in his hotel in Bangalore.

Advertisement

Zeshan Abbasi (28), who is here to play T20 World Cup tournament for the visually challenged, was immediately rushed to MS Ramaiah Hospital, where he was kept under observation for two hours.

Police said Abbasi was in a hurry and consumed the phenyl, mistaking it to be water, after a hotel staff member unintentionally left the bottle on a table. Abbasi, however, spat the liquid as soon as he realised it was not water.

“Abbasi was discharged at 4.30 pm. He is absolutely fine,” said a doctor who attended on Abbasi. Earlier in the day, Abbasi underwent endoscopy and some other tests. All reports were normal.
After coming out of the hospital, Abbasi said he was feeling well and would play the next match against Sri Lanka on Sunday.

Pakistan team manager Sultan Shah said the hotel authorities had apologised and the matter had been resolved. He added that the issue was closed.

”Such an incident should not and will not affect the Indo-Pak cricket relations. The tournament is being played in a very good atmosphere.”

Meanwhile, the hotel apologised immediately and later sacked the staffer responsible for the incident.
“We have accepted the hotel’s apology and now all our focus is on the World Cup, said Sultan Shah, chairman of the Pakistan Blind Cricket Council, who is in Bangalore at present.

Shah added, “We do not want to politicise the issue. We have a very good relationship with our Indian counterparts. The game must go on.”

Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved