Panic gripped the industrial town of Nagda in Ujjain, 120 kms north of Indore, when poisonous gas leaked from a factory in industrial area on Tuesday night.
About 30 people were affected after the gas leak and all were admitted to Grasim Janseva Hospital and were discharged after primary treatment. However, the conditions of three are stated to be serious and were still admitted in the hospital.
According to information, the incident took place between 9.30 pm and 9.45 pm when thinonyl chloride gas started leaking from Nagada-based Lanxess India chemical industry.
People suddenly started complaining of irritation in eyes and complained of suffocation. They started fleeing out of panic.
Sources said that impact of gas leak was felt the most at Durgapur colony and Amlawadiya road. According to residents, as the gas started leaking, they started rushing to safe place by covering their faces.
Nagada police have arrested two of the company officials in this regard.
The company, in its media statement said that there was no loss to life and property after a glass tube rotameter in the thinonyl chloride plant developed a crack.
“As a responsible corporate, we have taken necessary action as the situation demanded and the situation is under control,” said Bappa Bandyopadhyay, vice-president manufacturing, Lanxess India, Nagda site, in a media statement.
This is not first time when residents of Nagda faced gas leak problem. Earlier on December 7, 2012 a poisonous gas leak triggered panic.