Visva Bharati received a major blow from the Calcutta High Court, when they were directed to allow a senior faculty member, who had been suspended last year, to rejoin duty immediately. A varsity spokesperson confirmed they had withdrawn the suspension letter on Wednesday but was unwilling to admit that the decision was taken after their defeat at court.
Visva Bharati authorities suspended senior Shilpa Sadan faculty member Vishal Bhand on May 9, 2012, following his arrest on the basis of a complaint filed by his wife with Bolpur police on May 5 the same year.
Bhand moved the Calcutta High Court seeking justice. “On Monday my lawyer informed me that varsity authorities had faced defeat in the case as the court has given a verdict in my favour,” he told Hindustan Times over the telephone from his hometown in Madhya Pradesh.
“After informing varsity authorities I left Santiniketant, as my father is ill. I don’t know whether they have acted as per court orders. I still haven’t received a letter or email from them,” Bhand added.
Visva Bharati spokesperson Amrit Sen told HT, “Suspension of Vishal Bhand was withdrawn on Wednesday.” Asked whether the with draw al was due to the court order, Sen merely said, “Withdrawal of suspension is a part of regular official procedures.”
Meanwhile, varsity authorities and vice-chancellor professor Sushanta Duttagupta have been facing blow after blow from the courts.
Earlier, Calcutta High Court issued a notice to Duttagupta, asking him to submit a written clarification to court within week, following a public interest litigation (PIL) on his illegal finances. A PIL lodged at the Calcutta High Court claimed that the vice-chancellor was withdrawing money from two institutions simultaneously.