Advertisement

HindustanTimes Wed,17 Sep 2014

30-yr-old molested at Juhu protest rally

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, December 31, 2012
First Published: 01:56 IST(31/12/2012) | Last Updated: 01:58 IST(31/12/2012)

A 30-year-old woman, distressed by the death of the Delhi gangrape victim and keen to show her solidarity for the cause of curbing crime against women, participated in a protest march at Juhu on Saturday night, only to be allegedly molested by an unidentified man.

Advertisement

The victim, a resident of Khar, approached the Santacruz police, who have registered a case of outraging the modesty of a woman against unidentified persons.

The police said the incident took place around 9pm at the spot off Juhu beach where citizens were paying homage to the victim by lighting candles.

“The complainant told us that while she was lighting a candle along with other protestors, someone touched her inappropriately. By the time she looked around, the person was gone,” a police officer said, requesting anonymity.

“We will scan CCTV cameras in the area to identify the accused,” inspector Sudhir Kudalkar from Santacruz police station said. The police will also quiz others who had been present at the spot for leads on the accused.

Celebrities such as Shabana Azmi, Javed Akhtar and Kailash Kher were present in the protest march, which left from Juhu beach at 5.30pm and went up to Kaifi Azmi park.

“Nothing happened during the actual rally or we would have caught the man. The incident must have taken place after the rally was over,” a volunteer at the rally who did not wished to be named.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Bandra-Worli sea link to get 80 new CCTVs in 60 days

The work order for the installation has already been issued, and a cost of Rs. 2 crore will be incurred on safety measures, including payment to 30 security guards and six ‘riders’ to monitor traffic, the affidavit said.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved