Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

8 yrs after blasts, 7/11 victim dies

Priyanka Vora, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, May 03, 2013
First Published: 15:24 IST(3/5/2013) | Last Updated: 15:25 IST(3/5/2013)

Amit Singh, a victim of the July 11, 2006 serial train blasts, succumbed to his injuries on Thursday evening at Jaslok Hospital, Peddar Road. Singh’s death dashed all hopes of a miraculous recovery that parents Dinesh and Meena had for their son.

Advertisement

Hospital authorities said that Singh was battling severe lung infection for the last one week. “There have been various ups and down in his treatment, but this time doctors could not save him,” said a hospital official.

Staff at the hospital recalled seeing Singh’s mother Meena diligently coming to the hospital every day, massaging her son’s legs and pleading with him to stand. “She once came to me saying that her son was speaking to her. It was her imagination as Singh, throughout his hospital stay, was in a deep coma because of a severe head injury he sustained,” said Dr (Col) RR Pulgaonkar, chief executive officer, Jaslok Hospital.

In 2006, when serial blasts ripped local trains in Mumbai, Singh was just 22 years old and a young commerce graduate when the incident changed everything forever.

During his stay at the high dependence unit of Jaslok Hospital, senior politicians visited him on anniversaries of that fateful day, promising various kinds of help. But the entire cost of his hospitalisation was borne by the Western Railway board.

“His condition was mostly stable but it had started deteriorating recently and we informed his parents. They were shocked as they were not expecting this,” said Dr Mayur Patel, intensivist at the hospital, adding that even nurses at the high dependency unit were saddened.

Singh was a resident of Virar. The hospital arranged for an ambulance to transport his body to Virar where his last rites will be conducted.

Another train blast victim, Parag Sawant, admitted to PD Hinduja Hospital, has been showing signs of improvement.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Flab-trap: Cosmetic surgery post weight loss on the rise

IT professional, Anita*, 51, was ecstatic when she lost 15 kg in just five months. But, the sudden weight loss had ended up making her look much older. Last month, she borrowed money from friends to get a facelift at a clinic in Bandra. “I was tired of looking fat. My marriage and work life were being affected and that’s when I decided to lose weight. I nearly starved and lost all the extra kilos but I ended up looking much older,” said Anita, who spent Rs75,000 on the cosmetic procedure.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved