Even amidst the confusion prevailing over the admissions to 25% quota under the Right to Education Act, 930 more students have secured admissions in July, figures from the school education department indicate.
Around 3,288 students from economically weaker sections have so far been admitted to schools, excluding unaided minority institutions, under the quota. Until last month, the number of admissions stood at 2,358 students.
The enrollment has been significantly higher than last year when only around 200 students had secured admission through the quota.
A majority of admissions took place in the western suburbs from Bandra to Dahisar (western zone) where around 1,406 students secured admission through the quota at the entry level of the school.
Around 1,155 students got admission in central suburbs (north zone) and 727 students were admitted in south Mumbai.
School education minister Rajendra Darda, civic body’s education officers and education inspectors will meet to take a look at these figures and discuss the implementation of the quota on Tuesday.
Minister of state for education Fauziya Khan is also expected to join the meeting.
“The minister is going to take review of these admissions. We have been asked to submit the latest figures to the department,” said a senior education official.
Many activists have complained that only some of the schools are complying with the RTE norm, while big schools are turning their back on such children.
Activists from Anudanit Shiksha Bachao Samiti staged a protest on July 24 outside the state assembly at Nariman Point. They complained that 14 premier schools from the western zone were not following some of the stipulated RTE norms.
“We submitted a list of schools that did not publicise their seats, display notices outside the school or rejected admissions to such students,” said SM Paranjape, committee member.
Many schools have unfilled RTE seats, and through a latest circular, such schools have been asked to keep the unfilled seats in the quota vacant throughout the year.