Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,01 Aug 2014

Abu Azmi barred from entering Dhule

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, January 12, 2013
First Published: 00:22 IST(12/1/2013) | Last Updated: 01:43 IST(12/1/2013)

The Maharashtra home department has ordered a probe by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) into the January 6 communal violence in Dhule.

Advertisement

Five persons were killed after the police opened fire to control a rampaging mob in the township located about 350 km from Mumbai. The CID (Nasik wing) probe will run parallel to a magisterial inquiry ordered by chief minister Prithviraj Chavan.

More than 200 persons including over 100 police personnel were injured in the riots. The mob is accused of using acid bulbs and sharp weapons made available at a short notice.

A tiff over payment of a restaurant bill reportedly spiralled out of control and triggered the riots. "The CID is also expected to inquire whether some leaders known for making provocative speeches were behind the attacks," a home department official who did not want to be named said.

Meanwhile, the government on Friday barred Samajwadi Party state president and legislator Abu Asim Azmi from visiting Dhule and Nasik districts for a month.

Azmi, accused of delivering a controversial speech in the area last year, said, "The government allowed 14 Shiv Sena leaders to visit the town on Thursday, but did not allow me to visit the victims and offer them relief."


Advertisement
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved