Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,01 Aug 2014

Aged women convicts now move HC

Mohan K Korappath, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, November 26, 2012
First Published: 01:45 IST(26/11/2012) | Last Updated: 01:46 IST(26/11/2012)

Two women convicts have moved the Bombay high court challenging an order of the governor of Maharashtra’s office rejecting their applications for premature release due to old age related illness.

Advertisement

The court was informed last month that the application for premature release moved by two women, aged 90 and 80, on grounds of illness because of old age had been turned down by the governor’s office.

The two women, convicted for murder, had approached the high court through a letter sent from Kolhapur prison in February pleading for premature release as they had undergone seven and 17 years respectively in prison. Eighty-year-old Hausabai Koli said she should be released as her daughter and grandson were ready to take her home. Koli’s health report, prepared by the medical officer of Kolhapur Central prison in January this year, stated that she was suffering from illnesses related to old age and that her general condition was weak and she could die in a few days.

Arfan Sait, who was appointed to represent Koli, said she had been convicted for the murder of her daughter-in-law.

Details regarding the other woman convict, Champa Kamble, are not available.


Advertisement
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved