Advertisement

HindustanTimes Tue,21 Oct 2014

Card frauds on the rise, but not a single arrest so far

Mohammed Thaver, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, August 21, 2013
First Published: 09:27 IST(21/8/2013) | Last Updated: 09:34 IST(21/8/2013)

Though they have been faced with a barrage of cases of credit/debit card fraud since late last year, the Mumbai police have failed to make a single arrest in any of them.

Advertisement

Since November last year, card cloning cases have been rampant in the city, with duplicate cards being used for transactions both in the city and abroad.

Of these, at least 250 cases involve cards suspected to have been cloned at commercial establishments.

“It is obvious that card details have been leaked from somewhere. But we have not yet been able to find out where the details were leaked from,” said an officer linked to the probe.

In recent months, there has been an increasing number of cases of cards being cloned at ATMs. In such cases too, cops are yet to make a significant breakthrough.

In June, 37 persons, including 15 policemen — all Axis Bank account holders — fell victim to a card-cloning fraud and duplicates of their cards were used in distant countries, such as Greece, to withdraw around Rs15.47 lakh.

While two suspects were identified through CCTV footage of an ATM, they are suspected to be in Bulgaria.

The police will have to undergo a lengthy procedure to arrest them.

In a recent case, debit cards of at least 14 persons were used fraudulently after card details were accessed at an ATM in Borivli.

Senior inspector N Khaire of the Borivli police said he does not have details of the case as the investigating officer is on leave.

While police spokesperson DCP S Choudhary said police make “sincere efforts” to solve cyber crimes, sources said such cases can be tricky.

“The crime can be spread across countries, which is a big problem. There are a many procedures involved to get custody of a criminal in another country,” an official said.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Errant schools get a second chance to admit RTE students

Deferring its decision to recommend de-recognition of those schools which refused admissions to RTE students, the education department has now given them a second chance to admit students.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved