Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

Civic bodies told to start demolition drive

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, April 11, 2013
First Published: 01:03 IST(11/4/2013) | Last Updated: 01:05 IST(11/4/2013)

Following the building collapse in Mumbra that claimed 74 lives, the government has decided to initiate a demolition drive against all illegal buildings in the state.

Advertisement

State chief secretary Jayant Kumar Banthia has told civic commissioners of all municipal corporations including those of Thane, Kalyan-Dombivli, Mira Bhayander, Navi Mumbai, Vasai-Virar, Pimpri-Chinchwad to start taking action against unauthorised and unsafe buildings.

"We are focusing only on illegal, multi-storey buildings categorised as unsafe. It's not possible to take on all illegal constructions in one go, as the number is too large. Also, evicting so many people could be a problem," Banthia told HT.

Civic bodies have been told to disconnect illegal water and sewerage connections to such buildings to ensure residents leave. Constructions that have come up in the past one year face action first. Also, buildings that cannot be regularised, like those built in Coastal Regulatory Zone areas by reclaiming creeks, on land reserved for civic amenities in the development plan, will face the axe.

In a video conference meeting with all civic commissioners on Saturday, Banthia also cautioned them that they would be held responsible for such activity under their watch and 'political pressure' would not be allowed as a defence.

Banthia said, "Civic bodies have been told to not target slums or one-storey structures in this drive. Focusing on unsafe buildings makes our action more feasible and ensures people in danger are protected."

Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan had assured the state legislature that the government was looking at initiating redevelopment of such illegal buildings on the lines of cluster redevelopment to ensure poor residents are not penalised.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Flab-trap: Cosmetic surgery post weight loss on the rise

IT professional, Anita*, 51, was ecstatic when she lost 15 kg in just five months. But, the sudden weight loss had ended up making her look much older. Last month, she borrowed money from friends to get a facelift at a clinic in Bandra. “I was tired of looking fat. My marriage and work life were being affected and that’s when I decided to lose weight. I nearly starved and lost all the extra kilos but I ended up looking much older,” said Anita, who spent Rs75,000 on the cosmetic procedure.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved