Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

Cong-NCP policy row far from over

Ketaki Ghoge and Dharmendra Jore, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, January 10, 2013
First Published: 01:54 IST(10/1/2013) | Last Updated: 01:55 IST(10/1/2013)

Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan managed to pass the new industrial policy on Wednesday though the Cabinet was divided, but the issue is far from resolved.

Advertisement

The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) is smarting from the way the policy got cleared, and its ministers claim their concerns have been addressed. But the Congress denies it has agreed to make changes in its draft policy.

Industries minister Narayan Rane said: “The minutes of the last Cabinet meeting in which we approved the industry policy were confirmed without hassles.”

A senior NCP leader said Rane tried to bulldoze the policy through. “This is a public policy and it will get criticised in the public domain as certain clauses are flawed,” the leader said. “Rane even said that the next time you bring in your policies, we will behave accordingly.”

The NCP’s main demand was that 15% of the developed land be given to original landowners in the denotified SEZs that get converted into Integrated Industrial Areas, especially where land was acquired by the state.

The party also demanded that the land acquired by Cidco for SEZ (NMSEZ, though it was not named) should not be converted into IIAs and that the proposal should be brought before Cabinet.

The third bone of contention was over a proposed clause that gives cash rebate on VAT to export units, including those selling goods outside the state.

Two NCP ministers told HT that these concerns have been addressed and changes made accordingly. However, the CM’s office and industries department denied that it had undergone changes after NCP’s objections.

The state did not issue the notification of the new industrial policy or release policy details on Wednesday. There is confusion over whether there will be 20% housing reservation in the IIAs for economically weaker sections.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Flab-trap: Cosmetic surgery post weight loss on the rise

IT professional, Anita*, 51, was ecstatic when she lost 15 kg in just five months. But, the sudden weight loss had ended up making her look much older. Last month, she borrowed money from friends to get a facelift at a clinic in Bandra. “I was tired of looking fat. My marriage and work life were being affected and that’s when I decided to lose weight. I nearly starved and lost all the extra kilos but I ended up looking much older,” said Anita, who spent Rs75,000 on the cosmetic procedure.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved