The Central government on Thursday said that the decision on banning right-wing organisation Sanatan Sanstha by terming it a terror outfit under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) would be taken in 45 days.
Vijay Rokhade had filed a public interest litigation in the Bombay high court demanding that the organisation be termed a terror outfit, owing to its alleged activities that could destruct the administrative and legal governance.
The state home department too had earlier recommended that right-wing Hindu outfits such as the Sanatan Sanstha, Hindu Janjagruti Samiti and Dharna Shakti Sena should be termed terrorist organisations under the Act.
GR Sharma, counsel for the Centre, told the Bombay high court that the ministry of home affairs would look into the state government’s proposal on banning the outfit.
An affidavit filed by the anti-terrorism squad last year had stated that only the Central government has the authority to declare any organisation unlawful under section 3 of the Act. The Centre can independently investigate and assess the outfits, the affidavit had stated.
The affidavit had attached a copy of the proposal sent by the additional chief secretary of the home department to the director of the ministry of home affairs in April 2011, noting that three bomb blast cases have been registered against the activists.
After considering the proposal, the Centre will send its recommendation to the Unlawful Activities Prevention Tribunal that will take a final decision.