Curfew continued to be enforced for the third consecutive day in Azad Nagar, the worst-affected area of the violence-hit township of Dhule, 350km from Mumbai, even as the death toll in the communal clash mounted to five on Tuesday.
Police sources said an unidentified man who received bullet injury ostensibly in the police firing, succumbed during treatment at around 6.30am. Inspector general of police (IGP), law and order, Deven Bharti said while the curfew was on, prohibitory orders banning the assembly of five or more people were clamped elsewhere in the town. "The curfew will continue till the law and order situation improves," Bharti said.
Asked if the police had been able to identify the perpetrators or make any arrests, Bharti said, "Restoring law and order is our first priority. We will investigate how the violence started and how it spread so quickly."
Footage from local TV channels has been sought to identify the protesters and ascertain their roles. Additional director general of police, law and order, Ahmad Javed has been posted in the city to supervise the deployment of security personnel.
Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan has ordered a magisterial probe into the violence that injured more than 200 people.
Meanwhile, the Samajwadi Party (SP) state president and legislator Abu Asim Azmi denied making any provocative speech in Dhule recently. "I verified my speech [the one in question], which does not have anything of sort that a section of media has reported," he said.