Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

Disaster response team yet to be allocated space in city

Vaishnavi Vasudevan, Hindustan Times  mumbai, June 13, 2013
First Published: 01:58 IST(13/6/2013) | Last Updated: 02:01 IST(13/6/2013)

It is because of the civic body’s delay in finding a suitable location for the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) formed by the Union government to handle emergencies such as building collapses, that it has no space to operate in the city.

Advertisement

When a building collapsed in Mahim on Monday, the NDRF team stationed in Pune reached five hours later. The situation was similar during the Mumbra building collapse, when the team had reached late.

However, despite realising the need for a specialised force, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has been unable to find a location to station the teams in the city.

“NDRF requires 10,000 sqft built up area to accommodate their battalion. Such a vast space is difficult to find but the search is in progress,” said a senior civic official.

The central government in 2008 had directed all states vulnerable to terror attacks, to allot a place for NDRF teams in metro cities so they can spring into action at the earliest.

“Four years since the directive and seven months after state chief secretary held a meeting on this issue, a decision is still awaited. The BMC’s disaster management cell has failed to perform their duties,” said IC Sisodia, ex- vigilance officer, BMC, who had recently written a letter to the chief minister requesting him to intervene.

Sandeep Rathore, IG, NDRF said, “We are awaiting for a place to operate in the city. After we are allotted an area, three teams will be permanently deployed.”

Despite several calls, Manisha Mhaiskar, additional municipal commissioner, BMC was unavailable to comment. “They will be deployed,” she replied to a text message later.

For monsoon, the civic body has sought help from NDRF asking them to deploy three teams in the city for rescue operations.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Flab-trap: Cosmetic surgery post weight loss on the rise

IT professional, Anita*, 51, was ecstatic when she lost 15 kg in just five months. But, the sudden weight loss had ended up making her look much older. Last month, she borrowed money from friends to get a facelift at a clinic in Bandra. “I was tired of looking fat. My marriage and work life were being affected and that’s when I decided to lose weight. I nearly starved and lost all the extra kilos but I ended up looking much older,” said Anita, who spent Rs75,000 on the cosmetic procedure.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved