Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,22 Aug 2014

Fifth accused had planned to flee country

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, August 26, 2013
First Published: 02:39 IST(26/8/2013) | Last Updated: 02:40 IST(26/8/2013)

The fifth accused, Mohammed Salim Ansari, 27, proved to be a slippery customer. He had taken refuge in Govandi at the home of some friends when he heard of the arrests of his accomplices.

Advertisement

As all the other accomplices had been picked up by the police in the brutal gangrape of the 22-year old photojournalist, he quickly escaped to New Delhi. Sources said Ansari had even planned to flee the country.

Sources said Ansari took a train to New Delhi from Kurla terminus. Once there, he took refuge at the home of a relative, who was unaware of his involvement in the crime. Technical surveillance helped police track Ansari and he was intercepted at JJ Colony in Ashok Vihar.

Sources said Ansari had even arranged for a passport, hoping to flee the country. After he is brought to the city from the capital, the crime branch will be questioning him in detail about his escape to New Delhi and his plan to flee the country.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Mumbai's Colaba-Seepz metro line work to begin soon: Venkaiah

Ahead of the upcoming Maharashtra Assembly polls, the Centre has pushed another big ticket infra project with Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu saying that the groundbreaking ceremony of the Colaba-Seepz metro project will be held soon.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved