A fire broke out in the exterior wall of the six-storey Sushrut Hospital in Chembur on Thursday afternoon. Prompt evacuation of the patients by the hospital staff helped averta major tragedy and no casualties were reported.
“The smoke spread to the third, fourth and the fifth floors of the hospital. The hospital staff helped in shifting the patients to a safer location,” said BB Rathod, senior inspector, Chembur.
Four fire engines were sent to the spot and the fire wasdoused in around two hours. “The chimney on the exterior wall of the building was made of a material similar to glass fibre, which is a combustible. Hence, when the dismantling work was being undertaken by the workers on the third floor, the machine used to cut the metal covering the chimney touched it, causing the fire,” said an official from the fire brigade.
“The smoke spread inside the third floor of the hospital building, which housed the operation theatre and a passageway. As a precautionary measure, 37 patients were evacuated using the stairway. Nobody sustained any injuries,” he said.
The official also added that the fire spread on account of the false ceiling installed inside the hospital premises. “We will investigate if there was any negligence on part of anyone. We are waiting for the report from the fire brigade,” said Rathod.
Another fire was reported on Thursday at Dongri. The fire broke out in the third floor of an old building on Ajwa Street in Dongri in the evening.
According to fire brigade officials, the fire started at an apartment on the third floor of the Israel Manzil building at around 8.15pm. “A family had lit an oil lamp at home, when a rat accidentally hit and a fire broke out,” officials from the Dongri police said. Police do not suspect any foul play.