The Bombay high court, on Tuesday, granted two more weeks to the state to decide what action is to be taken against the policemen who arrested the two Palghar girls for their Facebook post.
The division bench of justice Abhay Oka and justice Ashok Bhangale, had on January 14, directed assistant public prosecutor Viththal Konde-Deshmukh to decide what action had been taken against the policemen. The bench acted on a petition filed by former journalist Ketan Tirodkar.
Tirodkar has approached the HC seeking appropriate penal action against the police officers who had wrongfully arrested Shaheen Dhada and Rinu Srinivasan for expressing their anguish on Facebook over the bandh after Thackeray's death.
Tirodkar said the inspector general of the Konkan range had conducted an enquiry into the episode and had submitted his report to the director general of police on November 25. However, he said no action has been taken so far, because of the different views of chief minister Prithviraj Chavan and home minister RR Patil.
"The two top functionaries of the state are locked in battle, with the chief minister favouring action against erring police officials and the home minister against it," said Tirodkar's PIL.
Dhada and Srinivasan were detained on November 18 and arrested the next day. They were charged under section 295-A of the IPC and later booked under section 66A of the IT Act, 2002. However, the outrage compelled the government to drop the case against them.