HindustanTimes Mon,22 Dec 2014

‘Harassed’ VHP leader commits suicide

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Dombivali, September 12, 2009
First Published: 01:14 IST(12/9/2009) | Last Updated: 01:17 IST(12/9/2009)

A Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader committed suicide on Thursday night at his residence in Gopalnagar, Dombivali (East).


He left behind a suicide note saying that he was being harassed. The Ramnagar police station has registered an accidental death report.

“Dinesh Gada (45) committed suicide by hanging himself from the ceiling fan with a nylon rope. At the time of his death, there was no one at his home,” said Police Sub-Inspector GS Rautmale.

Gada, who owns a printing press, is survived by wife Heena (43), son Sanket (18) and daughter Heeral (16).

“Sanket had gone for his chartered accountancy classes. Heeral had decided to stay back in order to study for the exams. But Gada compelled her to go. He even asked his mother-in-law to go to the neighbour’s house. He then hanged himself in the bedroom,” said Gada’s elder brother Kiran Gada (50).

Gada had left the main door open and when his daughter returned around 8.45 pm, she found him hanging. She called up Heena and Gada’s sister, who stays nearby.

“Gada had left behind two suicide notes, one addressed to Heena and the other to Assistant Commissioner of Police M.Y. Takle. In the note, he has asked for Heena’s forgiveness and to look after the kids,” said Gada’s brother-in-law Hasmukh Hariya (49).

“I have lots of troubles, which is why I’m committing suicide…I have never been involved in any criminal activity,” said Gada’s note to Takle.

“A month back, Gada told me that he was being harassed by the police. He came to know about Yash’s kidnapping through news and a friend. Cops had requested him to placate the Kutchi community members, who were agitated over the boy’s kidnapping. He even took the police’s side when a Dombivli bandh was declared by the community.

Few days later, he and other representatives of the community also met the ACP. He was also called to the police station two-three times. He felt he was being harassed and unnecessarily trapped in the Yash Shah case. We don’t know whether he was being harassed or not but he was very depressed because of it,” said Hariya.

more from Mumbai

Cleaning sewers while stuck in a time warp

In 1988, an extensive survey on the working procedure of sewer workers carried out by the Occupational Health and Safety Centre, Bombay, revealed their outdated methods such as the candle test to check for any poisonous gases inside manholes.
Most Popular
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved