Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

Hasan Ali’s bail plea rejected

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, October 19, 2012
First Published: 00:57 IST(19/10/2012) | Last Updated: 00:58 IST(19/10/2012)

The bail application of Hasan Ali Khan, the Pune-based businessman arrested for money laundering, was rejected by the special Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) judge on Thursday.

Advertisement

Khan was arrested in March last year. Several bail applications filed by his lawyers in the sessions court and the Bombay high court have been rejected. Khan had also moved a review petition before the Supreme Court (SC) demanding reconsideration of the order cancelling his bail. The petition was rejected in January.

Following the SC order, Khan had moved a fresh bail application before the sessions court, citing change of circumstances. Khan contended that he has been booked under the Passport Act in Patna and Mumbai, while a case has been registered against him in Hyderabad for facilitating the sale of Nizam diamonds. His application states that the information received by him through an RTI query on February 7 reveals that the police have, so far, received no evidence against him in the Hyderabad case, while the other two cases were registered under the Passport

Act, when the PMLA was not in place.

In its reply, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) alleged that Khan and Kashinath Tapuriah, Kolkata-based businessman and co-accused in the case, had laundered billions of dollars in foreign banks including over $8 billion in the Union Bank of Switzerland (UBS) in Zurich.

Khan’s counsel Amit Desai argued that the agency had suppressed certain valuable documents which could prove that the charges against Khan were baseless from the court.

Refuting the allegations, ED’s counsel Ujjwal Nikam said that the agency has overwhelming evidence against him in the case under the PMLA. Nikam said that there was a possibility that Khan may go absconding, if granted bail.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Flab-trap: Cosmetic surgery post weight loss on the rise

IT professional, Anita*, 51, was ecstatic when she lost 15 kg in just five months. But, the sudden weight loss had ended up making her look much older. Last month, she borrowed money from friends to get a facelift at a clinic in Bandra. “I was tired of looking fat. My marriage and work life were being affected and that’s when I decided to lose weight. I nearly starved and lost all the extra kilos but I ended up looking much older,” said Anita, who spent Rs75,000 on the cosmetic procedure.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved