Hope dies as 5 bodies pulled out of Sindhurakshak

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • |
  • Updated: Aug 17, 2013 09:08 IST
  • INS Sindhurakshak

    A diesel-powered submarine exploded and sank in a dock in Mumbai, leaving rescuers scrambling to find 18 sailors who were on board. The INS Sindhurakshak ...

  • INS Sindhurakshak

    Defence minister Antony said there were fatalities when a diesel-powered submarine exploded and sank at a dock in Mumbai. The INS Sindhurakshak had been returned ...

  • INS Sindhurakshak

    Defence minister Antony said there were fatalities when a diesel-powered submarine exploded and sank at a dock in Mumbai. The INS Sindhurakshak had been returned ...

  • INS Sindhurakshak

    A diesel-powered Indian submarine exploded and sank in a dock in Mumbai, leaving rescuers scrambling to find 18 sailors who were on board. (AFP Photo)

  • INS Sindhurakshak

    An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak on Wednesday killed some crew members, defence minister said, giving no further details of what he described as one of ...

  • INS Sindhurakshak

    An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak on Wednesday killed some crew members, defence minister said, giving no further details of what he described as one of ...

  • INS Sindhurakshak

    An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak on Wednesday killed some crew members, defence minister said, giving no further details of what he described as one of ...

  • INS Sindhurakshak

    Ships ride at anchors at a naval dockyard where a submarine caught fire and sank after an explosion early on Wednesday in Mumbai. Defense minister ...

  • INS Sindhurakshak

    An Indian Navy helicopter flies over the naval dockyard in Mumbai. Eighteen sailors were trapped and some are feared killed after an explosion and fire ...

  • INS Sindhurakshak

    A fire vechile is seen entering the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai early morning on Wednesday. A diesel-powered Indian submarine exploded and sank in a Mumbai ...

The first five — severely disfigured — bodies were recovered by divers on Friday morning from the INS Sindhurakshak, the war submarine that sank around Tuesday midnight after multiple blasts.

Navy officials said the bodies, extricated from the vessel’s second compartment, could not be identified. The families of all 18 sailors onboard the submarine were alerted and the bodies shifted to navy hospital INHS Asvini, where DNA tests will be carried out to identify them.

The development, coming more than 48 hours after the incident, lends credence to the possibility that none of the 18 sailors survived. And while the navy issued a statement to the effect on Friday, the search operation is still on.

Navy officials claimed that going by the damage and destruction around the control room, there is little chance of locating bodies in the front half of the vessel.

They said the explosion and consequent high temperatures had melted the steel, most likely incinerating the bodies as well.
Earlier, the navy’s diving teams faced great difficulty in reaching the submarine’s compartments because of zero visibility inside the vessel, jammed doors, melted hatches, distorted ladders and oily water.

Only one diver was able to work at a time, said navy officials.

“One diver would work to clear the path to gain access. When he surfaced, the next diver would further the process. The tedious task went on non-stop for 36 hours,” said a navy officer.

Read more:

Tragedy exposes unpreparedness of navy to handle deep sea rescue

Dutch help sought to salvage Sindhurakshak

Rs 480 cr go waste, questions raised on Russian upgrade

Names of sunken submarine's missing sailors released

INS Sindhurakshak: hydrogen concentration may have triggered explosion


http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/Popup/2013/8/ins_sindhurakshak1.jpg
 

also read

Dangerous art of submarine crewmanship

blog comments powered by Disqus