After the mass suspension of policemen, the anti-corruption bureau (ACB) of the Mumbai police on Thursday began probe into the bribery episode in which they were seen accepting money on camera in lieu of allowing illegal construction.
Mumbai police commissioner Satyapal Singh also has ordered an inquiry into the incident, in which 36 policemen were implicated. Singh termed the episode “shameful” and said the departmental inquiry would be followed by legal action against the accused.
He, however, said: “From the video footages and visuals it seems that policemen were induced into accepting money.”
Director-general (ACB) Raj Khilnani told HT 36 suspended policemen had been named in the FIR filed against them. He said senior inspector Dhananjay Bagayatkar, though suspended, had not been named in the FIR.
Khilnani said the investigation, which would begin on Friday, would focus primarily on the corruption allegations and pinpoint the roles played by the people involved. “References of some Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation staffers have also been made in the complaint. So the investigation will not only involve policemen but those corporation staff too,” he added.
Action against the policemen came after activist Mohammad Kasim Khan did an incriminating video-recording between March 9 and March 26.