Days after the first CBI chargesheet was filed, Ishrat Jahan’s family alleged that a section of the Intelligence Bureau (IB) and “some powerful people” were attempting to intimidate them, and demanded protection from the Centre.
Though the chargesheet, filed on July 3, has not named IB special director Rajinder Kumar, the CBI has indicated that he was deeply involved in the fake encounter in which Ishrat and three others were killed in 2004.
On Thursday, at a media conference in Mumbai, Ishrat’s sister Musarrat said at 2.30 am on Thursday, a group of men had come knocking at their house in Thane district’s Mumbra. “Claiming they were cops, they demanded that we open the door. We did not open the door, after which they left,” she said. The Mumbra police later denied they had sent any men.
Home minister Sushilkumar Shinde has said the family’s request should be looked into at the earliest, said official sources in New Delhi.
Activist Shabnam Hashmi, who was present at the media conference, said this was not the first time efforts were made to intimidate them. Last month, a car Ishrat’s mother Shamima Kausar was travelling in, was fired upon. Earlier, 15 men from a “sangh outfit” were ready to attack Ishrat’s family in Delhi. “In Haryana, a car from a local IB unit followed us,” Hashmi said.
“There is grave danger to our family, as now, besides the Gujarat police, IB officials and politicians could also be named in the case,” said Kausar.