Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

It’s back to work for most today

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, November 19, 2012
First Published: 01:04 IST(19/11/2012) | Last Updated: 01:05 IST(19/11/2012)

The city is expected to return to normalcy on Monday, but some schools and some wholesale markets will remain closed.

Advertisement

“The bandh that has been announced for Monday through messages and various groups in the city are not supported or promoted by the Shiv Sena in anyway. Do not believe in any such rumors. The city will go on as usual,” said Sena MP and spokesperson Sanjay Raut.

However, several schools in the city and Navi Mumbai that were to reopen will be closed. “We have declared Monday as a holiday and are yet to decide on a reopening date,” said Ophelia Barreto, principal, Podar International School, Santacruz.

The state government last night announced that school and colleges in Maharashtra will remain closed.

Wholesale marketers under the Federation of Associations of Maharashtra (FAM) will observe a bandh on Monday. “But essential services such as vegetable and fruit markets will operate,” said Mohan Gurnani, FAM president. Over 1.5 lakh jewellery shops, retailers and wholesalers from the gold industry and bullion dealers will also keep their shutters down.

Having stayed off roads for two days, around one lakh auto rickshaws, 35,000 taxis, 5,000 pre-paid taxis and 5,000 fleet cabs are expected to get back to business. Petrol pumps that remained closed on Sunday will also operate. 

The police will continue to deploy policemen across the city as required on Monday, said Niket Kaushik, additional commissioner of police (crime). He said the situation would be assessed during the day and police personnel would be mobilised accordingly.

Mumbai police commissioner Satyapal Singh also said that no one would be allowed to take the law into their hands by trying to forcibly shut shops and establishments and those trying to indulge in such acts would be dealt with severely. Sources in the police said the commissioner had convened a meeting of senior officials on Sunday night to discuss the emerging situation and to take necessary steps.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Flab-trap: Cosmetic surgery post weight loss on the rise

IT professional, Anita*, 51, was ecstatic when she lost 15 kg in just five months. But, the sudden weight loss had ended up making her look much older. Last month, she borrowed money from friends to get a facelift at a clinic in Bandra. “I was tired of looking fat. My marriage and work life were being affected and that’s when I decided to lose weight. I nearly starved and lost all the extra kilos but I ended up looking much older,” said Anita, who spent Rs75,000 on the cosmetic procedure.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved