Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

Key info being hidden in safety lapse probes, says AAI official

Soubhik Mitra, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, December 29, 2012
First Published: 02:03 IST(29/12/2012) | Last Updated: 02:04 IST(29/12/2012)

A senior official at the aviation safety department of Airports Authority of India (AAI) has alleged that the Mumbai operator and officials of the aviation safety regulator are withholding crucial information in a few ongoing probes into safety lapses.

Advertisement

The official, Mangala Narasimhan, deputy general manager with the aviation safety department of the AAI on Friday skipped a routine safety assessment meeting in the city to discuss the status of these probes. In a letter to all committee members, she claimed that despite repeated correspondence with the Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL), the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) and her own superiors in the AAI, she was denied information pertaining to cases of safety lapse. She also alleged that information is being held back to cover-up the incidents. A copy of the letter is with the Hindustan Times.

Among the cases discussed in the meeting on Friday was the collapse of a jet blast fence at the Mumbai airport in July. A large section of the fence, meant to protect airport workers and slum dwellers from powerful jet discharge, was found lying outside the airport boundary. A critical ground navigation aid that guides pilots during poor visibility was also damaged in the incident.

“MIAL officials denied sharing data on the specification of the new blast fence and other relevant details of the probe. Since information is intentionally being held back, participating in the probe would be a mere formality,” said Narsimhan.

She added that MIAL officials were not transparent about the relocation of a ground-based aid next to the airport’s main runway. “It seems that a group of senior officials wants me to blindly sign on safety probe reports, which is against my principles,” she added.

An MIAL spokesperson said, “We are obliged to send the reports to DGCA, which we submitted two months ago. It is up to the DGCA to decide on dissemination.”

DGCA chief Arun Mishra was not available for comment.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Flab-trap: Cosmetic surgery post weight loss on the rise

IT professional, Anita*, 51, was ecstatic when she lost 15 kg in just five months. But, the sudden weight loss had ended up making her look much older. Last month, she borrowed money from friends to get a facelift at a clinic in Bandra. “I was tired of looking fat. My marriage and work life were being affected and that’s when I decided to lose weight. I nearly starved and lost all the extra kilos but I ended up looking much older,” said Anita, who spent Rs75,000 on the cosmetic procedure.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved