Advertisement

HindustanTimes Thu,18 Sep 2014

Lalit Modi to fight suspension, calls it illegal: Report

Agencies  Mumbai, April 26, 2010
First Published: 19:39 IST(26/4/2010) | Last Updated: 20:45 IST(26/4/2010)

IPL Czar Lalit Modi today called his suspension illegal and decided to fight it, according to media reports. He tweeted that he was still the IPL Chairman, just suspended. He was dethroned in a swift counter-attack by the BCCI, which accused him of rigging bids for teams.

Advertisement

Suspended from his high-profile position in the middle of the night, ironically minutes after his third successful IPL concluded here, Modi was this morning replaced as interim Chairman by a virtual unknown, businessman Chirayu Amin one of the vice-presidents of BCCI.

The suspension pre-empted 46-year-old Modi's last ditch attempt to outmanouvre his detractors by announcing last night that he would chair today's meeting of the 14-member IPL Governing Council that was to decide his fate. The suspension having been communicated to him through e-mail ensured his absence.

The BCCI bosses then met at the Board's headquarters here for 90 minutes after which they announced that Modi had been given 15 days time to respond to charges such as irregularities in the initial bids of Rajasthan Royals and Kings XI Punjab and rigging the bids of the two new franchises Kochi and Pune.

Other charges include irregularities in the broadcast deal, irregularities in the internet deal and his behaviorial pattern.

Modi, never short of sound bytes or tweets, remained mum and avoided the media. He was said to be planning his response.

Addressing a press conference after the meeting, BCCI President Shashank Manohar gave a clean chit to Union Minister Sharad Pawar, saying there is no involvement of any of his relatives either in the present or the initial bids.

He ruled out any political interference in the functioning of the BCCI saying as far he was concerned nobody can change his decisions.

At the meeting, a three-member committee of former players -- Sunil Gavaskar, M A K Pataudi and Ravi Shastri --was appointed to discuss the modalities of withholding three foreign and four Indian players after discussing the issue with franchises.

Manohar said many important documents were missing from the IPL and BCCI offices.

"Many of the records are missing. The IT is asking for documents. We don't have them. We have asked BCCI CAO Prof Ratnakar Shetty to look into the missing records and papers," he said. (With PTI inputs)


Advertisement
more from Mumbai
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved