Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,21 Dec 2014

Locals blame developer for collapse

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  mumbai, June 23, 2013
First Published: 14:47 IST(23/6/2013) | Last Updated: 14:51 IST(23/6/2013)

In the aftermath of the collapse, the Dahisar police are investigating if there was negligence on the part of anyone that led to the collapse. But locals say the building was sold by its developer to a diamond merchant who installed heavy machines and made structural changes which could have led to the collapse.

Advertisement

Seven people were killed and as many were injured after the building crashed near the railway station, Dahisar (East), at 6.30am on Saturday.

The police said that Piyush building,  built in 1980, was evacuated in 2010 after the BMC declared the ground plus four-storey building dangerous.

“The BMC had notified the occupants of the building to evacuate the premises. They had also put up a caution notice. Metal railings were erected around the compound wall to keep locals from entering,” said an officer from Dahisar police station. Residents of Thakur Niwas, located adjacent to the building, blamed the developer for the collapse. According to them, the developer sold all flats to a diamond businessman who installed heavy machines in the premises and made structural changes that weakened the building.

Praveen Patil, deputy commissioner of the police, zone 12, said: “We are recording the statements of the former managing committee of the building to corroborate allegations made against the developer. We are checking statements made by the BMC officials on the evacuation and notices sent to the committee.”

Preliminary investigations revealed that the residents of Piyush building sold their flats after which the building was being used as a place for diamond cutting and polishing. Sunil Deshmukh, assistant commissioner, Dahisar division, said, “After 1984, the residential units were sold for commercial purposes. The BMC had filed a case after the residential building was used for industrial production. However, we are yet to ascertain what cases were filed.”


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Flab-trap: Cosmetic surgery post weight loss on the rise

IT professional, Anita*, 51, was ecstatic when she lost 15 kg in just five months. But, the sudden weight loss had ended up making her look much older. Last month, she borrowed money from friends to get a facelift at a clinic in Bandra. “I was tired of looking fat. My marriage and work life were being affected and that’s when I decided to lose weight. I nearly starved and lost all the extra kilos but I ended up looking much older,” said Anita, who spent Rs75,000 on the cosmetic procedure.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved