Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,19 Dec 2014

Maharashtra govt to act against illegal mobile towers

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, April 03, 2013
First Published: 01:07 IST(3/4/2013) | Last Updated: 01:09 IST(3/4/2013)

Conceding that over half of the mobile phone towers in the city are illegal, the state government announced on Tuesday that it will intensify action against them.

Advertisement

It will adopt a two-pronged approach — punitive action against civic officials, police and the society members of buildings on which these towers are located, and snapping electricity supply to them.

Minister of state for urban development Bhaskar Jadhav said that 1,830 of the 3,705 mobile phone towers in the city are illegal.

“They did not come up overnight. The civic officers failed to act and electricity is being provided to these towers. We will take action against those who are responsible,” he said.

The issue was raised by NCP MLC Prakash Binsale who highlighted the suspected ill-effects of radiation from these towers.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

‘He liked playing cricket, had no terror links’

Earlier this year, 24-year-old computer technician Shoeb Khan applied for a passport. Being a quiet and unassuming youth – as described by his family – with no criminal record, Shoeb had no trouble getting his passport application approved by the Hingoli police.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved