In a move to ensure there are fewer irregularities in the admission process to private medical colleges this year, the state government has issued an order clarifying that these colleges will have to surrender to the government, seats left vacant after the second round.
In May last year, the Supreme Court had said that vacant seats would have to be surrendered to the state after the second round. Following this, the state issued a resolution for colleges to conduct admissions along these lines, but a corrigendum issued in July said the order would not apply to private colleges and deemed universities.
However, the new government resolution, issued on July 4, overrules this corrigendum and reinstates the previous order issued in May 2012 which had said that the rule would apply to private colleges and deemed universities.
“This was the decision of the Supreme Court,” said DP Sawant, minister of state for medical education, about the new order.
The first two rounds will continue to be filled by colleges on the basis of their own test. After the second round, medical and dental seats left vacant will be filled by the state on the basis of the newly-instituted National Eligibility cum Entrance Test.
Following complaints of irregularities in last year’s admission process, the Pravesh Niyantran Samiti, set up to regulate such matters, recommended the government to cancel around 250 admissions.
The matter is still in court as students whose admissions were ‘disapproved’ opposed the recommendations and were allowed by an interim order to write the year-end exams.