Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,19 Dec 2014

Meru bosses, union don’t see eye to eye

HT Correspondent  Mumbai, October 22, 2011
First Published: 02:39 IST(22/10/2011) | Last Updated: 02:41 IST(22/10/2011)

Commuters continued to suffer on Thursday as the Meru Cab strike entered its third day and the management-union dispute raged on.

Advertisement


No resolution seemed to be in sight with the management and the union continuing to spar over the reinstatement of 21 drivers, who were terminated by the company on October 12, for participating in earlier violent protests.

The Meru administration said that 97% of its drivers are keen to get back to work. With Diwali approaching, drivers are agitated about losing money daily, due to the strike. However, a few drivers, backed by the auto-taxi wing Swabhiman Sanghata,  led by industries minister Narayan Rane’s son Nitesh,  are adamant to continue the strike.

Rajesh Puri, the chief executive officer of Meru Cabs said: “Meru prides itself on transparent policies and has been in talks with drivers, to resolve issues amicably. The company has requested the police to intervene in cases where violent threats are issued to cab drivers and the company.” 

On the plight of commuters, he said: “Commuters continue to be held to ransom because of this aggressive behaviour. The image of the city also takes a beating with this kind of violent situations.”

Meanwhile, commuters across the city suffered as the fleet cabs were unavailable.

On Wednesday drivers were attacked by unidentified persons and commuters were forced out of cabs at different spots in the city. Following the attacks, most Meru drivers pulled off the roads.

This three-day strike comes just a week after a similar strike by Meru Cab drivers.

On October 10,  a section of Meru drivers, led by Swabhiman Sanghatna, went on indefinite strike demanding lowering of subscription fees, weekly offs and concessions on maintenance costs.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

‘He liked playing cricket, had no terror links’

Earlier this year, 24-year-old computer technician Shoeb Khan applied for a passport. Being a quiet and unassuming youth – as described by his family – with no criminal record, Shoeb had no trouble getting his passport application approved by the Hingoli police.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved