Around 35-40 hutment near Lakshmi Industrial Estate in Andheri west, were gutted in fire on Friday afternoon, injuring at least 9 persons in the incident.
Four fire engines, four water tankers and an ambulance were rushed to the spot when the incident took place at 3:15pm. The six injured persons were admitted in Cooper hospital, out of which eight persons were discharged by
evening, while one of them is said to be in stable condition.
“Household furniture, electric wiring and wooden materials were gutted due to the fire. It took us three hours to bring the fire under control,” said an official from the fire brigade department.
He added that the fire-fighting process took time due to absence of access road to the slum. “We entered the adjoining transit camp building to reach the spot. The intensity of the fire increased the temperature in other huts due to which 3-4 LPG cylinders exploded,” he added.
“Six persons received minor burns who were treated and later discharged from the hospital. Two others were advised to be admitted but they refused. A female patient has received 20% burns who is currently kept under observation,” said sources from Cooper hospital.
Preliminary reports from the fire brigade state that the incident occurred due to a short circuit.
“As of now, we have made a diary entry and are awaiting the fire brigade’s report. After the fire brigade submits a report on the incident, we will register a case if any kind of negligence is ascertained,” said Prabhakar Medhe, senior inspector at Amboli police station.