Advertisement

HindustanTimes Fri,19 Sep 2014

Mymbai gang-rape: Documents confirm 1 is a minor

Mohamed Thaver, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, August 31, 2013
First Published: 01:02 IST(31/8/2013) | Last Updated: 01:05 IST(31/8/2013)

Of the five accused arrested for the gang-rape of the 22-year-old photojournalist, one will spend just three years behind bars — at the most.

Advertisement

The controversy over whether one of the five accused is a minor or not was resolved, with the police taking him to the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB), a quasi-judicial body meant for minors in conflict with the law. The JJB sent him to Dongri children’s home and gave the police permission to take him out of the remand home from 6am to 6pm for interrogation till September 2.

The crime branch had earlier claimed he was an adult, but the birth certificate and school leaving certificate of the accused put forward by his family stated that he was born in February 1997.

Joint commissioner of police, crime, Himanshu Roy said, “His brother approached us on Friday morning with the certificates that proved he was a minor. We cross-checked them with government records and found them to be genuine.”

The police will not conduct the bone ossification test as according to a Supreme Court ruling, the test is to be used only when basic documents such as birth and school leaving certificates are not available.

The accused will be kept at the Dongri home and an in-camera trial will be held.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

All parties in Maharashtra should go solo to test poll power: Bhujbal

Bhujbal said since a solution is eluding both camps on pre-poll pact and all the four major political parties are claiming to be in 'strong' position, they should contest the October 15 assembly elections on their own.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved