Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,20 Apr 2014

Sindhurakshak: 6 bodies handed over to Navy

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, August 31, 2013
First Published: 01:14 IST(31/8/2013) | Last Updated: 02:55 IST(31/8/2013)

Six of the 11 bodies extricated from the INS Sindhurakshak — a kilo class submarine that sank at the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai after two blasts ripped through it on August 13 — have been handed over to Naval officials.

Advertisement

The bodies had been kept at morgue at Byculla’s JJ Hospital, for DNA identification.

Last week, four more bodies recovered from the submarine and sent to JJ Hospital’s forensic department for autopsy. “All the bodies were severely burnt. In some, only the bones remained,” said a doctor from the hospital.

Doctors at the hospital’s forensic department have collected tooth and bone samples that have been sent to the Kalina Forensic Science Laboratory for DNA identification. The five bodies that remain at the hospital will be handed over to the Navy after the DNA identification is completed.  

“We received the last body on Sunday,” said Dr TP Lahane, dean JJ Hospital. A navy spokesperson said the bodies will be sent to the deceased’s  families.

Advertisement
more from Mumbai

India's first double-decker flyover opens in Mumbai

Motorists hoping to save time while taking the Santacruz Chembur Link Road (SCLR), which was opened to public on Friday, would have to crawl through certain sections as the traffic police have imposed a speed limit of 30kmph on the bridges, along with some other restrictions to ensure smooth flow of traffic.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved