HindustanTimes Thu,25 Dec 2014

State to help in registering housing societies

HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times  Mumbai, December 17, 2012
First Published: 01:20 IST(17/12/2012) | Last Updated: 01:21 IST(17/12/2012)

The state government will encourage citizens in forming cooperative housing societies so that the administration of their buildings is run in a legal and professional manner and developers do not benefit from exploiting additional floor space index (FSI) for commercial gains.


The state has decided to have a coordination committee of its top-level officers in each district, including the city’s two precincts, to ensure legal formalities. There are 27,000 private buildings and societies in the city, of which 25,000 have their cooperative societies registered. The rest are managing their affairs illegally.

The coordination committee comprises a deputy registrar of cooperatives, a joint registrar of cooperatives, a district land records superintendent, a district information officer, municipal commissioner/joint/deputy municipal commissioner and a chief officer of the municipal council. The committees will monitor the applications as well as devise schemes to get societies formed and registered.

“The coordination committees will guide people and monitor the formation of societies. We expect legal societies to manage and maintain their properties professionally,” said minister of state for housing Sachin Ahir.

“These (ad-hoc) committees manage just the water and power supply of their buildings, which are very basic amenities,” said Ramesh Prabhu, chairman of Maharashtra Societies Welfare Association (MSWA). “But registered societies will ensure they are ruled by the laws and also facilitatere development plans, if any,” said Prabhu.

more from Mumbai

Give certificates to students who complete Class 8, says edu dept

The state school education department has asked city schools to issue a passing certificate to students after completing Class 8. The certificate will be an important document showing that the child has successfully completed elementary education. It should be given within a month of completion.
Most Popular
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved