The parents of the day-old infant stolen from Wadia hospital last month will join an indefinite hunger strike outside the hospital starting on December 20 to protest police inaction in the case.
Local social worker Mahesh Vengulekar, who has called for the strike, has already sought permission to hold the hunger strike outside the hospital.
On October 24, the newborn boy was stolen at around 5.30pm during visiting hours, when his 28-year-old mother mother Jasmin Devdas Naik was taking a walk inside ward number 10 on the first floor of the hospital along with her mother Sunita Mahapankar.
“The police can catch murderers but not find my child. Though I am on medication, I will join the hunger strike,” said Jasmine.
The Naiks have alleged that the hospital authorities are pressuring them to seek a discharge.
“Seeing other mothers around playing with their newborns only adds to my agony, but I will not leave the hospital till I get my child.”
“The hospital was unable to provide security to Jasmine and her newborn. Despite this, they (hospital authorities) are not even willing to accept their mistake,” said Vengulekar.
Following the incident, the hospital has beefed up security in its premises. Prior to the incident, the hospital had only four security guards manning the entire hospital at any given time.
The hospital does not have any closed circuit television (CCTV) cameras.
“They have increased the security after our child has gone missing. If the authorities don’t stop harassing us, we will start the hunger strike immediately,” said Abhishek, Jasmin’s brother.