Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sat,20 Sep 2014

Tata Group in spot for violation of safety norms

HT Correspondent , Hindustan Times  Mumbai, February 16, 2011
First Published: 02:21 IST(16/2/2011) | Last Updated: 02:22 IST(16/2/2011)

The Tata Group will soon be slapped with a notice from the fire department under the fire safety and prevention act for violation of fire safety norms.

Advertisement

A fire broke out in the basement of the Bombay House, which houses the Tata Group’s headquarters, on February 9. Three people were killed and two injured in the incident.

According to a senior fire official, the notice would be issued once the inquiry report was ready within the next few days.

The official added that the blocking of ventilation space in the basement was reason enough to serve the Tata Group a notice for violation of fire safety norms.

During inspection, fire brigade officials found 50 windows in the basement, of which 33 were closed. Twenty were boarded with plywood and 13 were used for installing air-conditioners and exhaust fans. The reason for the death of the three men when the fire broke out was suffocation.

Chief fire officer Uday Tatkare confirmed that they would be issuing the Tata Group a notice and were still preparing the inquiry report.

Investigations had also revealed that the auditorium, cafeteria and offices did not have the mandatory no-objection certificate from the fire brigade.

Civic officials said the cafeteria had been functioning without the mandatory licence from the civic health department.

The Bombay House building situated near Flora Fountain Bombay was constructed in 1924 and is a Grade II heritage structure.The rooms in the basement were constructed in 1988 and some permission were obtained in 1990.

 BMC officials had claimed that the basement plan approved at the time showed a sports club in the space and was to be kept open.


Advertisement
more from Mumbai

Dialysis solution infects 15 kidney patients in 3 months

More than a dozen kidney patients in Mumbai have reported severe infections and related complications, possibly from the use of contaminated dialysis solution made by a multinational drug firm.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved