Advertisement

HindustanTimes Sun,26 Oct 2014

2G: Court defers hearing on Swamy's plea to Oct 5

PTI  New Delhi, August 17, 2013
First Published: 12:29 IST(17/8/2013) | Last Updated: 12:41 IST(17/8/2013)

A Delhi court on Saturday fixed October 5 for hearing arguments on a plea by former MP Subramanian Swamy that the written statement given by former telecom minister A Raja to the JPC on 2G scam be placed before court.

Advertisement

The matter, which was scheduled for arguments on Saturday, was deferred as the counsel appearing on behalf of Swamy told the court that the former MP had written a letter to Lok Sabha speaker Meira Kumar on the issue on whether Raja's statement to the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) was "privileged".

The counsel told special CBI judge OP Saini that they are awaiting the reply from the Lok Sabha speaker and after seeking clarification on this issue, Swamy would advance arguments on his plea.

He informed the judge that it would take around a month to get the response and thus the court should defer the matter.

Swamy had earlier argued that Raja's statement to the JPC is an important piece of document to arrive at the truth and the logical conclusion in 2G spectrum case.

He had also alleged that examination of witnesses of the CBI is "incomplete" as they have not discussed the meetings which took place regarding the allocation of 2G spectrum during Raja's tenure as telecom minister.

He had said that Raja's statement to the JPC speaks about various meetings which took place regarding allocation and pricing of spectrum.

Swamy had also pressed for summoning of then finance ministry officials Sindhushree Khullar and Shyamala Shukla as witnesses to explain the file notings during those meetings.

On May 4, Swamy had approached the court saying, "In order to ensure that all aspects of the case are examined, actual culprits may be booked, tried and punished it is necessary to summon the complete written statement filed by Raja before the JPC."

Swamy has sought summoning of Raja's April 22 written statement to JPC chairman PC Chacko along with the draft report of the JPC, the draft report of the Public Accounts Committee and also that of Shukla, the then director of infrastructure, and Khullar, the then additional secretary of economic affairs department, to ascertain the truth.


Advertisement
more from New Delhi

Prohibitory orders clamped after communal clashes in Delhi's Trilokpuri, 60 held

Prohibitory orders were clamped in Trilokpuri area in East Delhi as sporadic violence continued unabated for the third day on Saturday. Over 14 people, including 13 policemen, have been injured. Police said five of those injured sustained bullet injuries.
Advertisement
Most Popular
Advertisement
Advertisement
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved