Twenty-nine years after nearly 3,000 Sikhs were massacred in the national capital following the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, a Delhi court on Wednesday reserved its judgment in a case in which Congress leader Sajjan Kumar is the prime accused along with five others.
After the completion of the final arguments, district jugde JR Aryan fixed the matter for April 16 for clarification, if any, from the CBI or the six accused persons. "Judgment is reserved. To come up for clarification, if any, on April 16," the judge said.
Investigating agency prosecutor DP Singh said the prosecution had based its case on the statements of the witnesses, as what they had seen during the incident. The witnesses had given honest versions of what they all had seen during the riots, he said, alleging that in all the complaints wherever Kumar's name had cropped up, it was "immediately eliminated" from the police records.
IU Khan, defence counsel for Kumar, told the judge that there were several inconsistencies in the statements of the witnesses, including key complainant Jagdish Kaur. Therefore, it appeared that the charges statements had been motivated against his client. "Kaur had not taken Kumar's name anywhere in any of her affidavits filed before various judicial commissions, constituted to probe the riots-related cases, till 2010," said Khan.
He argued that when Kaur appeared in the court in 2010 to record her statement, she gave them a shock by naming Sajjan Kumar for the first time and said something which was not there in the records.
Kumar is facing trial along with five others-Balwan Khokkar, Kishan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal - for allegedly inciting a mob against the Sikh community in Delhi Cantonment area. The case relates to the anti-Sikh riots that had broken out after the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.