HindustanTimes Sun,31 Aug 2014

After warning by neighbours, Ram Singh's body sent to Rajasthan

Jatin Anand, Hindustan Times  New Delhi, March 13, 2013
First Published: 00:04 IST(13/3/2013) | Last Updated: 12:36 IST(8/9/2013)

In the face of a warning by their neighbours at the Ravi Dass slum cluster, the parents of Delhi gang rape accused Ram Singh did not take his body to their house in the dingy slum and chose to transport it directly to their native Karauli in Rajasthan.


A day after Singh allegedly hanged himself in his cell at the Tihar jail, a group of residents had walked down to the one-room dwelling of Mange Lal and Rama Bai — Singh’s parents — on Tuesday morning to issue the ultimatum.

“We had already made our wish clear to them soon after they returned from Tihar Jail after Ram Singh’s suicide last afternoon,” said Rahul, a local resident.

“But we had to be sure so we went and stated our objection categorically in the morning.”

Residents claimed they had formed a group of seven, including both men and women, which went to Singh’s house before calling his father out.

What had followed, according to residents, was a brief monologue with Singh’s father staring into space as he received their instructions.

“I told him look, you know how we feel about the crime your son had committed and what impact it has had on our reputation as a colony. If you have any self respect left, don’t force us to create a scene. There’s no way his body will enter this colony again,” claimed a senior citizen resident of the slum, wishing to remain anonymous.

A crowd of younger residents from the locality started gathering along the lane as word of the ‘meeting’ spread. Singh’s visibly agitated father, the neighbours claimed, had apparently chosen not to react.

“He just said ‘Theek hai; iss bar yahan se jaane ke baad kabhi apne chehre nahin deikhayenge’ (Alright; we won’t ever show you our faces after leaving this place this time),” Mamta, one of her immediate neighbours claimed to have heard Mange Lal say. Police confirmed that soon after his body was handed over to the family, it was taken to Karauli.

more from New Delhi

Delhi's last working elephants: Mishandling leads to deaths, disappearance

Sanjay Bansal, 50, drives his Renault Duster across the ITO Bridge and goes down to the Yamuna banks to pray to Rupa, a 40-year-old elephant. The trader looks mesmerised as she chomps lazily at the sugarcanes he has brought with him.
Most Popular
Copyright © 2014 HT Media Limited. All Rights Reserved